Being an Almond Tenant

Whether you're one of our tenants, or hope to become one, this is what you need to know about being a tenant with Almond Housing Association.

When you become a tenant with Almond Housing Association, you sign a Tenancy Agreement. This is an important document that you should read carefully and keep in a safe place.

Your Tenancy Agreement

The Tenancy Agreement is a legal document which sets out the relationship between you and us, and the terms and conditions of your tenancy. Both you as the tenant and Almond Housing Association as your landlord must do what the agreement says.

What happens if the Tenancy Agreement is breached?

Make sure you familiarise yourself with Your Rights and Responsibilities as our tenant, and our Rights and Responsibilities as your landlord.

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 makes some changes to your tenancy rights, starting from May 1 2019. See here for more details.

Paying your rent

Icon Rent without textOnce the Tenancy Agreement is signed, you become responsible for rent and service charges straight away. Payments are due monthly and in advance. This means that you need to pay the full month’s rent and service charges from the date when you sign up, not at the end of the month.

How can I pay my rent?

Your Housing Officer

As an Almond tenant you have a dedicated Housing Officer who can help you with any problems or queries you may have about your tenancy.

How do I get in touch with my Housing Officer?

Being a good neighbour

As our tenant you need to keep your property and garden in good order and get on with your neighbours.

Every tenant has the right to enjoy living in their home in peace and comfort. Therefore you or anyone living with you, or a visitor to your home must not cause your neighbours any problems or harassment.

More on being a 'good neighbour' and how to deal with antisocial behaviour.

Almond Award

Almond Award

This draw is our way of thanking customers for keeping on top of their rent payments, taking care of their home and generally being a good tenant. To be entered for the draw to win £250 worth of shopping vouchers for The Centre and Asda, simply:

1. Maintain a clear rent account for a minimum period of three months immediately prior to the draw
2. Ensure you have not been involved in causing any anti-social behaviour behaviour in your area
3. Maintain your tenancy and any garden area to a satisfactory standard
4. Allow our contractors to gain access to your home where appropriate
5. Be a member of our tenant consultation group.

Looking after your home

We are responsible for giving you a safe home to live in and for keeping any areas around it that we own or maintain, in good condition. You are responsible for keeping your home clean and in good order.

How do I look after my home?

Doorbell Cameras and CCTV

Almond HA does not provide or require you to obtain CCTV or doorbell cameras, however if you wish to install one yourself, please see the guidance which explains more about your responsibilities for the data you collect and process.


Icon Repairs without text

As your landlord we are responsible for keeping your home in good condition. However, we equally expect you to take good care of your home.

Repairs, responsibilities and your rights.

Making changes to your home

If you want to make changes to your home by way of adaptations or improvements, you must speak to your Housing Officer before carrying out any work. For most changes you will have to ask for our permission in writing.

What do I do if I want to make an alteration to the property?

Moving home

An Almond tenant has several ways of moving home to another Almond property, or to a tenancy with a landlord in a different area in the UK.

What do I do if I want to move home?

Ending your tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy with us, you must give 28 days notice in writing. Please note that the termination period will commence from the date of receipt. To formally end your tenacy you need to fill out a Termination of Tenancy Form.

If you wish to give notice, drop by our office, give us a call or contact your Housing Officer.

Keeping you informed

It is important to us that we communicate well with you, so that you are clear about what we are trying to achieve in what we are doing.

Our website, Tenant Newsletter and leaflets are all dedicated to keeping our tenants informed.

Getting involved

We value your opinions. We regularly conduct customer satisfaction surveys, and your feedback ensures that we continually improve the service that we provide.

You can also join our Tenant Focus Group or Customer Review Groups, or attend any of our Tenant Events.

How can I get involved?

Comments or complaints

We are committed to providing high-quality customer services, but sometimes things do not turn out as you would expect them to. If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.

How can I submit a complaint?

Questions? Just ask

Icon Contact Us without textIf there is anything in your Tenancy Agreement that you are not sure about, please contact your Housing Officer as soon as you can.

You can also get independent, professional advice about anything in your Tenancy Agreement from your local Citizens Advice office.

Here is a list of other useful numbers.