Alterations and Improvements

Should you wish to make alterations or improvements to your home, you must apply for permission before having any work carried out.

How do I apply?

Please read our Information Leaflet before submitting your request. To apply, print off, complete and return the Application Form to our office.

If you do not have access to a printer, we would be happy to provide you with an application form.

What happens next?

Once we receive your request, we have 28 days to consider your request and respond to you. Before the 28 days have passed we will either confirm that permission has been granted or advise why permission cannot be granted.

Please note...

Some works may require a Building Warrant and/or Planning Permission and it is your responsibility to apply for this if necessary.

If you wish to discuss this, you can contact West Lothian Council on 01506 280 000.

You may be entitled to compensation

If you carry out improvements or alterations, you may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy. Therefore, you must hold on to any receipts, as these will be needed should you be entitled to compensation in accordance with the scheme.

Asset Management Policy

A useful guide from the Scottish Government: Right to Compensation for Improvements

Need help?

If you have any questions or need some help filling in your application form, do not hesitate do get in touch with us on 01506 439291.