About your Rent

How do I pay my rent?
You can pay your monthly rent in many different ways. See more information below, or find the way that best suits you here. If you have any further questions, just get in touch with us on 01506 439 291.

Ways to pay Rent

I'm struggling to pay my rent, what should I do?
  • If you struggle to pay your rent, let us know so we can help you. Do not wait and let the problem get worse – contact your Housing Officer right away. If you don't pay your rent, you can risk losing your home.
  • Also a referral can be made to the Community Help and Advice Initiative (CHAI) who provide a benefits and money advice service for our tenants.

The CHAI advisor can:

  • Carry out an income maximisation check to ensure you are in receipt of your full benefit entitlement
  • Assist with making benefit claims and completion of application forms
  • Help you with any benefit related issues
  • Assist with appealing decisions and representation at tribunals
  • Advise on debt related matters
  • Negotiate with creditors on your behalf

Find out more here.

I think I may be entitled to help with my rent, where do I go?

Housing Benefit helps those on low incomes pay their rent. If you think you may be entitled to Housing Benefit, get in touch with your Housing Officer on 01506 439291.

If you receive Housing Benefit and your circumstances change, for instance if you start to earn more money or a family member leaves home, you need to tell us right away. It is important that you do not claim too much benefit as the Government can claim overpayments back.

Why do I need to pay Council Tax?
  • Council Tax is a payment due to West Lothian Council for the services they provide. It does not pay for any services Almond provides – we are not the Council. Our services to you are covered by your rent and service charge payments to us.
  • Do not mix up your rent with your Council Tax – they are separate payments. Make sure you pay your rent to us and your Council Tax to West Lothian Council.
Why do I need to pay Services Charges?
Service charges are the additional cost of services that are not covered by your rent. If you live in a block of flats, for instance, these can include regular stair cleaning or the cost of stair lighting. To make sure that you clearly see what you are paying for and how much it costs, these costs are shown separately on your rent notice.
Why am I paying the £10 cap and what does it mean?

Every month all tenants pay rent, and every year this rent is adjusted if there is a rent increase. On top of this some tenants also pay a £10 cap every month. Find out what the cap is and why you might be paying it.

Why might you pay a £10 cap on your rent in addition to the rate of inflation increase? The short answer is that your rent is lower than what we charge other tenants for the same type of property that you live in.

This means that... when two tenants pay different rents for the same type of property we need to equalise this by ensuring that the tenant paying less will end up paying the same rent as the other tenant, the target rent for this type of property.

Find out how the cap works here

About being a Tenant

I have had a leak and my wallpaper is damaged. Will Almond re-decorate my property?

The tenant is responsible for the general condition of the property.  Decoration is not covered by the association but we will carry out any repairs required and leave the area ready for tenant decoration.

How do I hand my property back to Almond?

28 days written notice is required when terminating a property. A termination form can be supplied.

How do I rent a garage from you?

We operate a garage waiting list. You can apply by filling in an application form or contacting our office and you can be added to the waiting list over the phone.  The rent is £27 per month for tenants and £32.40 for owners.

Can I get help with my garden?

If you struggle to maintain your garden, you might qualify for our garden schemes.

The schemes offer basic garden maintenance help between March and September.

Do I qualify?

To get help with maintaining your garden you must be either:

  • Over 70 years old, or registered blind or disabled
  • Suffering from ill health and receiving Disability Living Allowance
  • Aged between 65 & 69 with a Doctors Certificate

How do I apply?

If you fall into this category and are not yet on the list please contact your Housing Officer for advice. You can also apply by filling in a Garden Scheme application and returning this to us.

Please note, if you have any able bodied adults in the house you will not qualify.

For more, see our Garden page.

What should I do if I'm having a problem with a neighbour?

If you are having a problem with a neighbour, try to sort it out between you as soon as possible.

Remember, your neighbour may not realise that they are causing a problem, and often a friendly word can be enough. The best thing to do is often to calmly discuss the situation or problem, and if necessary, to be willing to compromise.

If this does not work, contact your Housing Officer.

We will record your complaint and try to sort it out by talking to you and your neighbour. You may have to help by keeping a record of when disturbances happen and trying to get a witness.

We may also ask others to help, such as the Council’s Safer Neighbourhoods Team, or suggest mediation using an independent person. Serious cases of anti-social behaviour are a breach of your Tenancy Agreement.

This is how to deal with Antisocial Behaviour

What can I do about antisocial behaviour?

What can you do about antisocial behaviour?

If you experience antisocial behaviour, the best thing to do is to speak with your neighbour to let them know how their behaviour is affecting you. Remember, your neighbour may not be aware that there is a problem.

Even if you are sure that your neighhour is aware that they are causing a problem, it is best to give them the chance to do something about it before taking it further. We appreciate that it may not always be possible to do this but experience has shown that it is often the simplest way of resolving the problem.

What if talking does not help?

If talking to your neighbour does not help, contact your Housing Officer. They will investigate the matter further.

It is very important that you keep a note of the date and time of any incidents, as well as the names of those who witnessed it and those you reported the incident to. Your Housing Officer will provide diary sheets on request. It is important that you not only record incidents but report as and when they happen.

Incidents of criminal activity must be reported to the Police.

How do I end my tenancy?

If you wish to end your tenancy with us, you must give 28 days notice in writing. Please note that the termination period will commence from the date of receipt. To formally end your tenacy you need to fill out this Termination of Tenancy Form.

If you wish to give notice, drop by our office, give us a call or contact your Housing Officer.